Friday, March 2, 2012

Self-Talk for Teens

The following form can often be helpful in teaching your teen how to notice their negative self-talk and begin to change it to a more healthy set of messages that they can give to themselves.


Changing Unhelpful Thoughts

Problem Situation
Upsetting Self-Talk
Questions to Ask Myself about My Thoughts
In this column, write in the situation that is upsetting you.
In this column, write in the thoughts that are causing upset feelings.
1.     What is unhelpful about this thought?
2.     How does this unhelpful thought make me feel?
3.     Is it a good idea to keep thinking this thought?
4.     What could I think that would be more realistic?

I’m receiving poor grades in school.
I give up.  It’s no use trying at school anymore.

I didn't get invited to go to the movies with some of my friends.
My friends don’t like me.  They’re stupid.

There's a big math test tomorrow and I don't understand the work.
I can’t do anything right.  I’m a failure.

My brother got a raise in his allowance and I didn't.
My parents aren’t fair.  My brother always gets more than me.

Jack bumped into me and knocked my books out of my hand.
Jack did that on purpose.  He wants me to look stupid.

I performed poorly in my basketball game.
I have to do perfectly in order for others to like me or respect me.